Join Our TXT Club
|We Got To Do Better: Teens Arrested For Cutting Hole In Roof Of Houston Mall To Steal Air Jordans|
|Written by Site Administrator|
|2012-08-28 06:50 pm|
The release of Nike's retro Air Jordans caused a frenzy at stores across the nation last December, with hundreds of people lining up for a chance to buy the classic basketball shoes and rowdy crowds breaking down doors and starting fights in at least two cities.
The minor was charged with burglary of a building as well as the misdemeanor of evading the police on foot, reports ABC. Police are not releasing further information pertaining to this suspect owing to his age.
Foot Action USA has declined to comment on this incident.
Crime has long troubled the history of Nike Air Jordans. Back in the late 1980s, people shot and killed others to get their sneakers. Sports Illustrated even ran a cover story on violence over the sneakers in 1990 entitled "Your Sneakers or Your Life."
The coverage sparked a provocative debate over the link between Air Jordans and crime. Filmmaker Spike Lee appeared in popular commercials for the shoes alongside the iconic athlete during this initial wave of problems. He commented on the controversy at that time.
"The Nike commercials Michael Jordan and I do have never gotten anyone killed," Lee argued. "The deal is this: Let's try to effectively deal with the conditions that make a kid put so much importance on a pair of sneakers, a jacket and gold. These kids feel they have no options, no opportunities."
Nike, for its part, has issued new safety procedures concerning new releases of their popular sneakers. Stores will need to wait until 8 a.m. before opening their doors, skipping anticipated midnight releases, according to The Wall Street Journal. (Daily News)
How far are people willing to go to cop the next retro? Let us know what you think about this crazy story after you watch the video below.
|Last updated on: 2012-08-28 6:56 pm|
Read Other Fashion
- Drake Reveals Team Jordan Partnership With New OVO Air Jordan X’s [Photos+Video+Details] - 2013-12-04 8:28 pm
- Adidas Confirms Kanye West Partnership – Deal Estimated at 10 Million [Details] - 2013-12-04 8:10 pm
- Exclusive #Fashion: New All Black Studded Shoulder Bag For Her [MUST SEE] - 2013-12-04 8:05 pm
- New #Jewelry For Her: Gold Snake Wrap Bracelet - 2013-12-04 7:57 pm
- Beyonce Wears a Christopher Kane Fur Trimmed Camo Jacket on Tour [Get the Look] - 2013-12-04 7:55 pm
- Rita Ora Cast In ’50 Shades Of Grey’ - 2013-12-04 12:06 am
- #Celebrity Find: Rapper Ludacris Wears a “Dope” Letter Print Sweatshirt [Get the Look] - 2013-12-03 11:45 pm
- #LAHH’s Nya Lee Does a “World Domination” Bald and Beautiful Photo Shoot [MUST SEE PICS] - 2013-12-03 11:44 pm
- Lick Me Sweatshirt For Her by Beloved - 2013-12-03 11:43 pm
- #Winter #Fashion: Sheepskin Jacket For Him by Garderobe - 2013-12-03 11:42 pm