Join Our TXT Club
Latest Secrets & Brags
|Question of the Day: Are Emily & Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?|
|Written by Site Administrator|
|2012-08-23 03:27 pm|
*This is a field experiment on Labor Market Discrimination by Marianne Bertrand, Sendhil Mullainathan.
Here's a field experiment to measure racial discrimination in the labor market. We responded with fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perception of race, each resume is assigned either a very African American sounding name or a very White sounding name.
The results show significant discrimination against African-American names:
The amount of discrimination is uniform across occupations and industries. Federal contractors and employers who list Equal Opportunity Employer' in their ad discriminate as much as other employers.
We find little evidence that our results are driven by employers inferring something other than race, such as social class, from the names.
These results suggest that racial discrimination is still a prominent feature of the labor market.
Read Other Secrets
- Make It Rain: You Won’t Believe What Nicki Minaj Got For Her Birthday [LOOK] - 2013-12-09 5:15 pm
- Atlanta Super Producer Jazzy Pha Has Allegedly Been Outed By a Pre-Op Tranny, He Responds [Details] - 2013-12-05 10:04 pm
- Deceased NFL Star Steve Mcnair’s Wife Kicks His Mother Out of the Crib He Bought Her, Plus More Mistress Drama! - 2013-12-04 8:08 pm
- The Leak: Photos of Usher As Boxing Legend Sugar Ray Leonard Surface - 2013-12-03 11:34 pm
- R. Kelly’s ‘Black Panties’ FULL Album Stream [LISTEN] - 2013-12-02 12:44 pm
- Kanye West Finally Reveals Why He Rolled With Jay Z Over Dame Dash [Must Read] - 2013-11-27 3:40 am
- Kanye West Airs Out Hedi Slimane and Nike in Madison Square Garden Rant - 2013-11-25 10:31 pm
- T.I. Signs With Columbia Records, New Album Executive Produced By Pharrell [Details] - 2013-11-23 2:29 pm
- Say What?? Dating App Reveals Most Men Fancy Asian Women While Majority of Females Prefer White Men - 2013-11-21 11:45 pm
- Say What?? Trina Pregnant With French Montana’s Baby?! [Rumor Mill] - 2013-11-20 10:24 pm