We're on Twitter
Refer a Friend
News – Lounges in Washington DC
|Broke NFL Star Warren Sapp Sells Hundreds of Jordan’s To Pay His Baby Momma|
|Written by Site Administrator|
|2012-08-06 05:17 pm|
It’s become a tired story in the world of professional sports. Welcome to the club, Warren Sapp. A superstar athlete banks millions only to lose it all shortly after his or her career ends.
His epic collection of the classic shoe, designed and produced for Nike by now-retired basketball legend Michael Jordan, comprises 240 pairs, and is worth around $6,500. Some pairs (size 15) are worn, some have never been touched.
His pricy shoe addiction probably didn’t help stave off his money meltdown. But Sapp’s loss could now be your gain because he’s selling up his entire closet-full of Jordans with all proceeds going towards paying back his creditors. Air Jordans were first released onto the sneaker market in 1985 and Michael Jordan himself first wore them as a rookie in 1984. Originals from the 1980′s fetch up to $600 a pair.
And that personality helped make up for a relative lack of grace on the dance floor as he finished second on Season 7 of “Dancing with the Stars.” But in a landscape of professional athletes who succumb to the temptation to shell out their earnings haphazardly with minimal, if any, foresight, Sapp appeared slightly more prepared for his second career.
As San Jose Mercury News columnist Monte Poole writes, Sapp “seemed to have learned from his restless youth, when he fathered two children with his wife and two more with other women. Divorce made him more thoughtful and discerning. He retired with relative quiet and made a smooth transition to the TV studio.” This is nothing new, according to Sports Illustrated, 78% of NFL players and 60% of NBA players file for bankruptcy within two years of their retirement. Is exorbitant spending to blame? A lack of financial planning and education? Or a lack of common sense?
Read Other News
- Singer ‘Pink’ Slams Male Double Standards – “Why Am I The Sl*t And You’re The Player? You Didn’t Get Anything From Me That I Didn’t Get From You” - 2013-05-15 10:53 am
- For Discussion: New York City Police Commissioner Kelly Says Almost 75% of Violent Crime Committed By African-Americans [Agree/Disagree?] - 2013-05-15 10:45 am
- Groom Reported Missing During Honeymoon, Found With Prostitute - 2013-05-15 10:36 am
- #DC Taxis Discriminate Against People With Disabilities Nearly Half The Time, WUSA9 Investigation Reveals - 2013-05-15 10:30 am
- A Little Positivity: 5-Year-Old NJ Boy Uses ABCs to Save Dad's Life - 2013-05-15 10:21 am
- “Geography of Hate” Looks At Use of Racist Terms Against Latinos, Blacks On Twitter [MUST SEE] - 2013-05-14 12:15 pm
- Two Waiters Arrested In Killing of Malcolm X's Grandson In Mexico, He Was Killed Over $1200 Bar Tab!! - 2013-05-14 11:56 am
- Wayne Brady To Bill Maher: 'I Will Beat Your Ass In Public' [DETAILS] - 2013-05-14 11:51 am
- BREAKING: Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Elude Breast Cancer - 2013-05-14 11:44 am
- Was the US Gov Caught Trying to Control the News? DOJ Secretly Obtains Months of Phone Records From AP Journalists - 2013-05-14 11:32 am